First, get your hearing tested. Some GPs will do this, but they can’t prescribe hearing aids. However, if it is a sudden or one-sided hearing loss they may refer you on to ENT at the Medical Specialist Group.

There are three hearing aid providers on the island:

Mario Cavagnetto of Advanced Hearing Services at the Grandes Maisons Surgery at St Sampsons (Tel: 245999)

Specsavers in the Market Square in Town, (Tel: 723530)

Hidden Hearing at La Villette Hotel, St Martins, (Tel: 0203 22554400) and in St Peter Port

Once a hearing test has been done and a hearing aid or aids have been prescribed by a hearing aid audiologist, and you are in receipt of Supplementary Benefit you need to contact: Social Security Department, Edward T. Wheadon House, Le Truchot, St Peter Port, Guernsey, GY1 3WH. Telephone: 01481 732501.You should explain that hearing aid(s) have been prescribed and the reasons why you would find it difficult to afford to pay for them yourself. SSD will request information from the hearing aid provider and perhaps ask for further financial information from you.

SSD may or may not award a full or partial grant.

However, if you are not in receipt of Supplementary Benefit, or if the grant awarded is insufficient to pay for the aids that have been prescribed, GHHA may be able to help, taking into consideration your individual circumstances.

For further information please contact Jackie Sholl on 07781 121325 or email us on